Re: Is there anything comparable out-there?

There are bug fixes in the CVS tree that are not in the last
release.  As I recall, there is an essential 64-bit fix that is
not in the release.

FreeBSD ports system builds from releases, not arbitrary source
checkouts, so fixes are not available without building by hand.

Fedore core/centos don't seem to have sawfish RPMs available.
When I request sawfish, my admins just say, "no RPMs, it's
dead, go away".  I have yet to get the CVS version to build
on CentOS 4.4.

The appearance of being dead keeps people from trying it, leading
to more disinterest and lack of availability.

cheers,
mark