Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] play queue

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 03:31:03PM +0300, Dmitry Golubev wrote:
> > With these options, it behaves exactly like a playlist.  I don't really
> > see the point of adding them.  What does this allow you to do that you
> > previously couldn't?
>
> Then what is the point of having play queue at all? what is its purpose? my
> understanding, which may be incorrect, is that play queue is one-time play
> list, something one creates for the current mood and will most likely not
> want to use next time. it may be cleared with one click, and songs are
> enqueued easily (one click without going to submenus).

The play queue has a few interesting properties:

- it overrides the normal play order, and control returns to the normal
  play order when the queue is empty
- it removes songs once they've been played or skipped

Different people use these properties to support different use cases.
If what you want to do doesn't involve any of these, then you're better
off using a playlist.

> play lists on the
> other hand IMHO are something more permanent, something you would like to
> survive application restarts, etc... like favorite tracks and stuff like
> that. and as play lists are of a value by them selves, they should not be
> cleared as easily as play queue (must ask for confirmation at the very least)

Playlists can be deleted just as easily as the play queue can be
cleared.  Creating a new playlist isn't very hard either.  Or, if you
really want to remove all the songs without deleting the playlist,
ctrl-a ctrl-x (select all, then cut).

There's no reason you can't use a playlist for the 'one-time playlist'
concept you keep talking about, and the only advantage you've mentioned
for using the play queue in this way is that it takes fewer mouse
clicks.

Please answer the question.  If we added shuffle/repeat type settings to
the play queue, what would this allow you to do that you can't already
do?