Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] play queue

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 15:31 +0300, Dmitry Golubev wrote:
> > With these options, it behaves exactly like a playlist.  I don't really
> > see the point of adding them.  What does this allow you to do that you
> > previously couldn't?
>
> Then what is the point of having play queue at all? what is its purpose? my
> understanding, which may be incorrect, is that play queue is one-time play
> list, something one creates for the current mood and will most likely not
> want to use next time.

This gets to the heart of the issue - that there are several
fundamentally different ways people use (and want to use) the play
queue. Back when it was first being implemented there was huge debate
about the user interface for it, with the two main camps being separated
by what they wanted it for.

You want it as a "single-use playlist", I use it to tell Rhythmbox that
I want to hear a certain song (or few songs) next, other people probably
use it in different ways.

The big problem is that making the play queue for useful for one group
of people may make it less useful for others.  Being able to
replay/repeat songs in the queue would be useful to you, but
implementing it without breaking my use would require some thinking.

Some of your suggestions are would obviously be good (like supporting
tracks being there multiple times), some others we would need to think
about, so we can figure out how they could get added.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a perl
script.