Re: [orca-list] Accessibility broken under Wayland Fedora 31

Hi,

actually Orca sent the text to be spoken to SpeechDispatcher, which
directs the audio stream to one of these applications:
alsa
pulse
oss
nass
libao
This application to use is set in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
as the value of AudioOutputMethod.

Having in this file:
AudioOutputMethod "pulse"
does not necessarily block the audio device.
I doesn't if you set dmix as the default sink in /etc/pulse/default.pa
as we do in Slint:

### In Slint, we want to share audio resources between speech apps that
### rely on alsa and other apps that rely on pulseaudio.
load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop

This allows to hear the screen reader on the console even while Orca is
running.

As an aside, we also set in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
AudioOutputMethod "libao"
and in /etc/libao.conf:
default_driver=alsa
and other choices are available for the libao default driver:
esd pulse and oss.
anyway as long as pulse is properly set other choices can work as well:
it's just a matter of properly setting available software.

So there is no issue with orca, puseaudio or any other upstream
software, the issue is the default settings found in some distributions.

Hence, such issues should be brought to the maintainers of the packages
of these distributions, for istance the audio team for Debian.

Best,

Didier