Re: [orca-list] is it possible to compile Orca on chroot environment ARM 64 toproduce ARM 64 bit compatible Orca?

Hello,

To me this discussion is very interesting as well.

I started doing similar experiments with termux android app a while ago. i.e. I am also dreaming to run some kind of accessible linux based environment on my android phone.

Termux also uses PRoot under the hood, it also rebuilds many packages for arm and arm 64 architectures similar to userLAnd trying to overcome bionic libc limitations where possible in the process however it turns out each of these apps has something to learn from.

For example on termux pulseaudio is built with OpenSL ES sink included that can play sound directly on android. There is no need to use network audio (such as playing pulseaudio output via simple protocol player, VLC or similar). However on termux running X is not straightforward and it is not possible to build speech-dispatcher (at least I haven't managed to do that yet).

My initial goal for now would be either moving android specific bits from pulseaudio as packaged on termux to userLAnd or finding the build recipe for speech-dispatcher on userLAnd so I can rebuilt it on termux if possible.

That might allow us to have the sound in the termux or in the userLAnd terminal.

From there I'd like to start with emacs with speechd-el but I imagine that is damn far in the future.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 9. 10. 2018 o 23:06 Kyle via orca-list napísal(a):
So am I understanding correctly that you have a speech server that is separate and independent from speech-dispatcher? In this case, you shouldn't need to recompile Orca. Do you have Python code that can talk to the speech server? Just write a speech factory module that will allow Orca to use it. If you're able to do that, you should only need a few minor modifications to the Orca code, and since Orca is written in Python, it doesn't need to be recompiled in order to take advantage of the new code.

As for cross-compiling, I've only done that for Rockbox, and it has a development script that sets up everything automatically. I've always compiled on a device that matches the architecture I'm compiling for, which is much easier to set up. So unfortunately, I can be of little help with that part of things. Still, since Orca is byte compiled Python code, it should just work on anything that runs Python. Your biggest difficulty is going to be compiling the speech server you're using.
Imetumwa kutoka tembo yangu