[orca-list] Selecting text in Firefox, was: Re: orca-list gnome org

OK, I'm totally now at a loss. If you, or anyone else can hop into this thread and try helping, I'd appreciate it.

I did what you said with these commands. I got Firefox to run, after doing the last command, the...

./firefox

I heard the little Ubuntu Bongo sound, then Firefox came up and asked me if I wanted to make it the default. Given that I didn't yet know if this would fix things, I said no, for the time being, but I left the box checked to always check on launch. This way, if we ever get this fixed, I can easily enough set it.

I then hit CTRL+L, and typed in my own website.

http://www.gshministry.org

Once the page loaded, I down arrowed until I got to the heading saying Our favorite quote

Below that line, it says, if you down arrow one time past that heading:

A smile on your face shows God's grace.

On that line, I hit the home key, and I heard the high pitch A, to indicate I'm at the start of the line.

I then hit shift+down arrow, to select that line of text. Orca said absolutely nothing. Not even in the 52 ESR build of Firefox.

I tried replicating this on an Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit system, this way I wasn't on a test build, in case something in 18.04 is broken, but even that didn't work. It appears the text is correctly being selected, but Orca just isn't reporting so. I remember this being a problem in earlier versions of Orca, but if I am understanding you, and others correctly, you're claming, not trying to put proverbial words in you all's mouths, that when I did that shift+down arrow, Orca should have spoken and told me that that line of text was selected.

Do you all think that Voxin is causing this to not work? I don't see any reason whatsoever for that to be the case, but... I'd not even know how to get back to ESpeak to find out if it works there. I believe you all entirely that this should work. I'm just saying for me, it's not doing so no matter what the heck I try.

I wonder if I updated to Orca 3.27 if that would help. Again, I'm on 3.26.0, according to what it says at the terminal when I do

orca -v

I'd not have even the remote slightest idea though how to go about updating to 3.27. Software Center, nor apt will let me get it, so I suspect, I'd have to probably build it from source, wouldn't I?

I should probably add one more thing. Orca isn't telling me in Thunderbird either when I select text, as I hear you all saying it should be doing.

Is there possibly a setting in the Orca+spacebar settings that might be preventing this from working, if I had unchecked? I confess, guilty as charged, I'm really running out of things here to try.

Chris.