Re: [orca-list] [Testers wanted before the official release] Slint64-4.2.1 release candidate is accessible.

Hello Jude,

Le 26/10/2017 à 17:55, Jude DaShiell a écrit :
I like your second possible solution.  Sighted users on the
debian-users list complained loudly when a single beep was included to
let everyone know when it was time to enter boot parameters in a
debian boot so that got removed.  This will accommodate them and us.

Yes. And maybe even better....

Do put startorca.desktop in ~/.config/autostart but also put the a11y
parameters settings in ~/.profile like this:
cut here
export PAGER=/usr/bin/most
export GROFF_ENCODING=UTF-8
export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/dev/shm/$(whoami)
mkdir -p /dev/shm/$(whoami)
chmod 700 /dev/shm/$(whoami)
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=$XDG_CACHE_HOME
export LOGNAME="GDM"
export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gtk"
export GTK_MODULES="gail:atk-bridge" # for GTK2
export GNOME_ACCESSIBILITY=1
export QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1 # for QT4
export QT_LINUX_ACCESSIBILITY_ALWAYS_ON=1 # for QT5
cut here

This way we wouldn't have to modify any xinitrc.*, so an user adding a
third party graphical environment would get speech and or braille
without having to do a post install configuration.

I have made a few tests, that seems to work.

Other benefit, this makes graphical environments also accessible in run
level 4, i.e. using a display manager.

This is an incentive for me to get gdm to be accessible in Slint. If I
can succeed, maybe we could pretend that Slint is as much
accessible as a Linux distribution can be...

Greetings,

Didier