Re: [orca-list] [Testers wanted before the official release] Slint64-4.2.1 release candidate is accessible.

Hello,

Le 18/10/2017 à 16:26, Peter Vágner a écrit :
The initial setup needs about 11GB of disk space, so for one time testing
at least 12 GB of disk space on the primary partition is required.

Yes. However, in the released version KDE will be optional. Not
installing it will free 1,2G

As Dave pointed out when the setup wizard shows list of services,
checkboxes are emulated in a way that unchecked item is prepended with ( )
- just a space inside parentheses and checked item is prepended with (*) -
a star punctuation inside parentheses. This star is not read by default
with espeakup, so it's why we haven't discovered it.
Perhaps changing the star to capital X would be a more noticeable and still
common choice here.
Thanks for reporting, I will try to enhance that.

I managed to exit the setup not gracefully. If you wish to reproduce that,
try doing the following:
- Run setup
- Choose the target partion
- Formatting does not matter here
- Continue with source selection and configure the setup to autodetect the
install disk in your CD rom drive.
* When it asks if you are ready to install selected packages answer no.
- Now from the initial setup menu, choose configure your linux system.
The setup will display a lot of errors exiting with no ability to save what
has just been configured.
Is that item configure your linux system usefull in some stage i.e. can it
be started manually?

The main use case of the installer is to install the system. Other use
cases include re-configuring an already installed system. To do that you
would perform the TARGET step just to identify the root partition (will
be mounted as /mnt), skip the SOURCE and INSTALL steps and then go
directly to CONFIGURE. But of course configuring a not yet installed
system is very hard ;)

When booting the installed system, lilo OS selection is displayed by
default eventhough linux is the only installed choice. I think there is no
timeout configured or it might be quite long. I have used OCRDesktop to
discover this. I think this should be put into the accessibility
documentation in slightly more details.

There is a timeout but it is very long by default (two minutes). I
consider reducing it to, say, 15 seconds. Would that be OK? I will also
document that.

The default timeout is set because it would complicate things to set one
only in case of multi boot I guess (I write I guess because the Slint
installer is a modification of the Slackware installer).

Some lxde pannels are accessible with the flat review. However it appears
the desktop is not configured. Wouldn't it be more awesome if PCManFM would
be configured to provide the desktop? That way we would get inaccessible
pannels but very accessible gnome 2 style desktop that would receive the
focus when all apps are closed.

I would be grateful for guidance on how to do that. I am a complete
beginner in the field of accessibility, with zero experience as I see.

Now when starting orca after the X session launch it just says Screen
reader on with nothing else. The only way on how to start working with the
system in this point is pressing alt+F1.

Well, you can also press all+F2 to get a Run dialog, and also have a
terminal focused when going graphical. To get that just type as regular
user, for instance:
cp /usr/share/applications/lxterminal.desktop ~/.config/autostart

Perhaps this is something I have got used to and other people would not
prefer that, this is something to talk about only at this point.

Also we might be missing some environment variables or other usefull
configuration as no KDE apps are accessible. I know KDE is not known for
its accessibility related progress however at least basic accessibility
should be there e.g. as the application window are opened and closed, flat
review in some parts of the UI and similar. With this distro KDE apps don't
seem to emit accessibility events at all. I will be playing a bit more with
this to possible find this out.

Well, I was not able get any KDE accessibility compiling and installing
qt-at-spi. I would be glad for any example of a distribution with
KDE-4.14 accessible.

The environment variables when running startx are taken fram this code
snippet:
http://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-testing/source/orca/orca.snip
Dos that seem OK?

I haven't yet tried other GUI environments however I have expected lxde to
be the most accessible out of the included ones.

XFCE may be more accessible.

I must say I was hoping
for something new perhaps inspiring so I could possibly borrow to my light
weight Arch linux setup with ratpoison and strichnine.
The only think I will consider adopting from this is F1 popup menu as it
appears it's awesome and portable.
Other than that I'll stick to the PCManFM desktop / SpaceFM desktop - still
in an unfinished state here in my local git repo.

Thanks for the awesome stuff.

Greetings

Peter

Thank you.

Greetings

Didier

I found nmtui works better and is how I got my wifi network up and running.