Re: [orca-list] audio ducking, good feature to have?

hi
Does it mute all streams or just lower their volumes? If I'm
understanding this right, nvda lowers the volume while it's speaking and
then raises it when it's done. This is what we want speech-dispatcher to
do eventually. There will obviously need to be some changes in
speech-dispatcher, and possibly orca as well.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

Peter Vágner wrote:
Hello,

Okay what I was afraid appears to be true. To provide current nice
experience, speech-dispatcher keeps its streams open all the time so
if ducking is configured via pulseaudio, all sounds which are
configured to duck are always ducked while speech-dispatcher is running.

If you would like to test what I'm talking about then you can do the
following.
Close all apps that might produce sound for example web browsers, soft
phones, media players etc...
List all pulseaudio sink inputs and set their role to a11y. I have
asked you to close all apps so you will only get speech dispatcher
sink inputs when calling pacmd list-sink-inputs in the first pacmd run.

pactl list sink-inputs | | grep '#'
Then use the number you have got and run the below command as much as
you do have speech-dispatcher related sink inputs.

pacmd update-sink-input-proplist <number> 'media.role=a11y'

Finally load module-role-ducking into pulseaudio by running ...
pactl load-module module-role-ducking trigger_roles=phone,a11y
ducking_roles=music,video volume=35000

Now play something in VLC for example and you will see how it's muted
all the time.
I think this feature is usefull when you are listening to music all
day long and need to duck it when watching an occassional video on
youtube, when answering a voip call etc, but it is not suitable for
our purpose.
To unload the module-role-ducking from pulse audio run
pacmd unload-module module-role-ducking

Greetings

Peter