From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2014 12:07 AM
To: orca-list
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Built in Controls for Espeak Pretty Please with Sugar, cheeries, whatever it takes
on top :)

Hi,

There is the catch 22 I see with VI Linux users. Most mainstream Linux users, those that use the GUI, have
moved on to using the GUI and therefore pulse is a non-issue for them. Even I confess since I rarely use
console speech this conflict between alsa and pulse is something of a non-issue for me personally. However,
as many VI users still rely on console speech via Speakup etc they also depend on alsa and don't want to
fight with pulse. The only solution I can see is perhaps writing a new screen reader for the console that
uses pulse by default which would make alsa verses pulse a non-issue for VI users. Any thoughts?