Re: [orca-list] Built in Controls for Espeak Pretty Please with Sugar, cheeries, whatever it takes on top :)

IMHO adding control of espeak functions to Orca would be a bad idea.

Currently there is some degree of separation between layers of the
accessibility model:

1.  at-spi, or whatever other components, receive events and data from apps.
2.  Orca, the screen-reader, does the job of a11y client to the a11y
service of at-spi etc.
3.  Speech-dispatcher provides exactly what it's name suggests, the
ability to connect multiple clients to tts synthesisers like espeak and
others.

In general I'm against anything that removes levels of modularity.  Such
a move might make it harder in the future to use Orca with an
alternative to SD.

As far as Orca is concerned it should not care what synthesiser is doing
the speaking, it just offers up what it gets from the a11y server layer
to sd to pass on to whatever is doing the speaking.

Removing modularity robs the system of some vital flexibility.  The
ultimate result of total absence of modularity of the system is an
environment like a Mac.

Mike