Re: [orca-list] Built in Controls for Espeak Pretty Please with Sugar, cheeries, whatever it takes on top :)

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 03:07:01PM AEST, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi,

There is the catch 22 I see with VI Linux users. Most mainstream Linux
users, those that use the GUI, have moved on to using the GUI and
therefore pulse is a non-issue for them. Even I confess since I rarely
use console speech this conflict between alsa and pulse is something
of a non-issue for me personally. However, as many VI users still rely
on console speech via Speakup etc they also depend on alsa and don't
want to fight with pulse. The only solution I can see is perhaps
writing a new screen reader for the console that uses pulse by default
which would make alsa verses pulse a non-issue for VI users. Any
thoughts?

The big issue with console speech is audio and permissions. Whether you are using Pulse, which by the way
uses ALSA, or ALSA directly, there is still the problem of accessing the sound card. Things generally work
when you are already logged into a console session. If everything is running and configured to work in the
user session, all is well, however you cannot review a terminal where you are logged in, because the software
in your user session doesn't have permission to talk to the audio hardware.

In Vinux 4, we managed to work up a solution, which whilst still a little buggy, does work. This solution
needs to be rewritten to work with Systemd/Logind, and the Systemd part of the solution needs to be sent
upstream. We then need to adapt espeak, and speechd-up to work properly, and configure the device node for
speakup to be controllable by Systemd to allow user sessions to talk to it.

We already have a usable and deacent screen reader, speakup.

Luke