Re: [orca-list] Built in Controls for Espeak Pretty Please with Sugar, cheeries, whatever it takes on top :)

On 8/29/14, Luke Yelavich <themuso ubuntu com> wrote:
The big issue with console speech is audio and permissions. Whether you are
using Pulse, which by the way uses ALSA, or ALSA directly, there is still
the problem of accessing the sound card. Things generally work when you are
already logged into a console session. If everything is running and
configured to work in the user session, all is well, however you cannot
review a terminal where you are logged in, because the software in your user
session doesn't have permission to talk to the audio hardware.

Ah, thanks for explaining that. I wasn't quite clear before what the
problem was with console speech before, but now I get it. That is a
nasty problem, and doesn't sound like it is an easy one to resolve.

In Vinux 4, we managed to work up a solution, which whilst still a little
buggy, does work. This solution needs to be rewritten to work with
Systemd/Logind, and the Systemd part of the solution needs to be sent
upstream. We then need to adapt espeak, and speechd-up to work properly, and
configure the device node for speakup to be controllable by Systemd to allow
user sessions to talk to it.

Ouch! That definitely does not sound like fun. I'm not really
qualified to do something like that at this point, but I do not envy
the person or people who gets stuck with that task.