Re: [orca-list] Orca & GSettings

Hi,

no false.  While they aren't a "desktop" as a lot of people think of =
it awesome / ion / fluxbox are configured through the same unix =
abstraction people have used for the past 30 years of text files.
this would mean that a user would have to have gsettings installed to =
use / build orca right?  Unless you somehow provide a =
--without-gsettings options to configure I am going to have a problem =
with this.
basically the problem is text files have worked for many programs for =
atleast 35 years, so we can have every expectation that they will =
continue to work perfectly well on any unix system with no dependancies. =
 On the other hand gnome itself has existed for less than 20 I don't =
know the exact number, and is already changing the way it does things =
(gconf -> gsettings) so as I see it expecting it to change again is very =
reasonable.  Also we can put whatever we want into a file a api =
restricts what we can do.  Why do we want to use a api that restricts us =
and will change when we can use something that will work fine and not =
change?
=20
Trev

Hi Trev,

      Only one thought. If text plain files works for you is then an =
universal solution to any Orca's user?

I think it's fairly reasonable to expect people using a unix system to edit text files to configure things.
I know that in mac land things are different (I looked at your email headers).   I don't mind a gui existing,
but I won't right it, and I don't want its existance to force me to instal packages.

      I don't think so.

Yes unix is different from windows or your mac, but I'd argue that you spend a lot longer as an expert with a
tool than as someone learning it thus the tool should be effecient for a expert, and provide documentation to
teach the new person instead of simply being easy for the new person to use and ineffecient for an expert.

      With our planned settings system you can implement a backend=20
based on text files if you want. Only for your old-school needs ;)

you don't always get a choice in the matter, what do you do if X wakes up dead? or you need to do something
remotely?  While I don't know what this will actually look like that seems like a lot more reasonable plan
than what you seemed to be proposing friday.

Trev