Re: [orca-list] audio and pulseaudio: was: Re: Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

Hi,
now I've tested Hardy for a few hours, and I must say that I'm completely
fed up with that "sound improvements":
If you want to be happy with Hardy, stay away from SD!
When installing SD, you have to realize, that it works only with Espeak,
when you change the output to "oss". But what advantage do you get from
using Pulseaudio? The sound mixing has gone then.
Neither Alsa nor Pulse work as SD output modules for Espeak.
But it came harder: To avoid this I tried to switch to Espeak-generic as
Output. To make a long story short, it breaks the Pulseaudio server, so
that
you can't use neither Gnome-Speech nor any media player at all. As soon as
Alsa is involved, everything is broken. You can use SD in the console only.
In Gnome SD talks over Espeak-generic, but that's the only thing you hear.
No system sounds, no media files.
So folks, what the hell have you done? If you want to bann SD, be that
honnest and admit it. I want to use SD with brltty in the console, and
setting to the OSS output forces me to use Alsa-oss, and I don't know
whether this will work in this setting; haven't tested that. It's enough
for today.
The only solution would be to completely deactivate Pulseaudio and restore
the settings known from Gutsy. They are not perfect, but compared to that
Hardy Pulseaudio stuff they seem to be paradise. Hacking Gnome-speech by
using aoss is a small issue compared to the stress you get with Hardy, when
you don't want to use the standard settings.
Hermann