Re: [orca-list] Punctuation, capital letters, exchange of characters and strings, generally error in the design of Orca

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 11:12 +0200, Halim Sahin wrote:
Hi,
On So, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:38:26 +0200, Hermann wrote:

However: If it would be possible to solve the issue with libportaudio in
Espeak, there would be no need for Pulseaudio, since it is a large
tool.

Hermann,
We need a general solution for this Problem.
I am not working with espeak.
So it might be a solution for espeak but not for other synths.
Generaly I cant understand why we are trying to solve the softmixing
problem by adding another layer (pulseaudio) between speech-synthesizer
and the used soundcard.
If we don't want to use (current implementation of speechd) the most
useful thing is to fix the problems in alsas dmix plugin.

I agree that pulseaudio doesn't seem to be the way forward. I have heard
so much of it here on this list that I thought may be I should try it
and solve the problems I have for those few apps which don't work with
alsa or the alsa-oss compatibility system. All my effort lead to me
concluding that all pulseaudio does is insert another layer of
complexity which I need to work out how to set up correctly so that all
apps can produce sound.

What is it that pulseaudio is meant to do that alsa does not do? When
you go through all the possible features of alsa and learn how to
configure it, alsa is very powerful and I would say I have the majority
of apps working together, and only one or two which need some further
work to make them work better through my set up (an these don't have
problems on some sound cards).

Michael Whapples

Regards
Halim