Re: [orca-list] Internet accessibility was: Re: form field structural

1:  as soon as a page lodes let orca anounce "page has X headings, Y
links and z frames ".  x,y,z are numbers and you may say page has no
links.

In that case, I want to be able to turn that 'feature' off. Why do I
need to know how many links, headings and frames are on a page? Screen
readers already have enough trouble with being too verbose. Why add to
the verbosity and complexity of using a screen reader by adding useless
information like how many links are on the page. I hate to necessarily
compare our access to a computer with a sighted person's access, but how
many sighted people do you know of that sit there and count the links,
headings and frames on the page or ask for such information to be
included on the statusbars of their browsers? What purpose does that
information serve for anyone blind or sighted? As for a list of links
and/or frames, I think a list of links is a good thing, and should
probably be implemented in the browser to give everyone access to a
quick link selection list. On the other hand, what good is a list of
frames? Frames are only used to design the layout of a page and are
usually named accordingly. Unless you have access to the internal HTML
code, you will never see the name of a frame, so these names are mostly
useless. Unless I've already read through an entire page several times,
how do I know what is in the frame called topleft as opposed to the
frame called bottomright? It may, however, be good to have Orca somehow
skip blocks of links to go to the next block of text, and it can be done
with less complexity than JAWS introduces where you have to configure
how many text characters it needs to see before considering it a block
of text.

Live long and prosper,
Lorenzo
--
I've always found anomalies to be very relaxing. It's a curse.
--Jadzia Dax: Star Trek Deep Space Nine (The Assignment)