Re: [orca-list] Internet accessibility was: Re: form field structural

hello jonie,
I did not understand what exactly went between you guys and ff team.
what they are exactly trying to do?  I think I can already navigate
between headings, tables and links in orca with ff.
secondly about the comments of kris,
well, that's right that open office is not at all accessible in
windows because of the dirty non-free policy of the big boys.  you
know, non-free software actually controls us and dictates terms to us.
the technical reason is that MSAA has no answer for apps like open
office and all that we can expect is that the all mighty team which
does not give freedom nor is scientific, or some one who has eyes as
big as a window will some day do a work around (I know they are
capable ) and make open office accessible.  but why will they?  they
want us all to be adicted to non-sence word and powerless pointless.
any ways coming back to the practical point, if orca can just do the
following few things then we are much ahead in accessibility.
1:  as soon as a page lodes let orca anounce "page has X headings, Y
links and z frames ".  x,y,z are numbers and you may say page has no
links.
again I am taking this feature from jaws without any bius against it.
2:  refine the navigation of orca with ff,  I think the problem right
now is that the find dialog does not work right.  I tried to find text
on a page and I just can't get what I want with a ctrl + f for the
find.
jaws does this very very efficiently.
3:  some times when I stop the speac and go back with alt left arrow,
my previous location on the page back in history is lost.  I have to
find my way around to locate the place where I was previously.
4: one last thing we can do is to have book marks like jaws has these days.

just do these things on a priority and see what wonders orca can do
with the added advantage of not having vertual buffers.
I know I know, herman or few more people will come up with a few web
sites which are perfectly accessible with jaws and IE or ff, but I can
show many which are the other way round.  so let's not get into it and
understand one thing, we need two hands to clap not one.  if screen
reader is smart enough it can do most of the work but the web designer
should also consider accessibility which in many cases is not the
case.  so we can't achieve 100% accessibility with any screen reader
till some thing is really harshly and agressively standardised.  else
we will not be as good as a sited person, no matter we have vertual
buffers or not.
regards.
Krishnakant.