Evolution slowness (was Re: Orca's readiness (was Re: tarting orca))

Hi Cody:

Evolution is generally a bit sluggish, but there is definitely something
going on that's making Orca even more sluggish in this case.  I'm not
quite sure what's going on, but it might be related to a couple of
things:

1) Orca tries to automatically speak/braille "unbound" text when the
focus changes from window to window.  This can involve digging deep into
the object hierarchy.  The main driver for this is popup dialogs, so we
might be able to limit some of this searching.

2) Evolution is indeed sending Orca a small storm of events when a
window pops up and goes away.  We might be able to come up with some
heuristic for determining which events Orca can ignore.

In the meantime, rather than popping up a new window to read an e-mail
message, you can tab to it from the message summary list.  The key here
is to make sure you've pressed F7 to enable caret browsing.  Orca will
be a bit snappier this way, but the total clock time to read a message
might be about the same since you're going to need to tab around a bit.

Will