Re: Marketing, GNOME 3.0 and subteams

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 22:34 +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Stormy Peters wrote:
> > Speaking of which, we do very little (if anything?) to advertise GNOME
> > apps. I think users pick operating systems based on apps. They have a
> > task, they pick an app. They don't decide to use Windows or Linux or
> > Mac, they decide to use Photoshop or Gimp or iTunes.
> An idea me and Lucas had a while back was the "Not the GNOME App Store".
> Mockup here [1]
> This would be a website with a selection of the coolest GNOME
> applications. The idea is a place with downloads of these for Windows,
> OS X and the most popular Linux distributions.
> The browser could detect your OS, so some of the software would be
> disabled if you're running a non-free OS (as they aren't ported over)
> and would invite people to do the switch to a distribution running the
> GNOME desktop.
>
> This could either be a short campaign running for 6 months or so, or a
> permanent place on gnome.org
>
> 1. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/184285/gnome-appstore.png

Andreas, this is terrific.  I think we should have something
like this permanently on gnome.org, maybe apps.gnome.org.

I'm thinking that, in time, it could be fed data from Pulse,
making it near-zero-effort maintenance.  But we shouldn't put
off cool stuff today for better backends tomorrow.

Do you have more design ideas around this?  Would we want
to have more software listed than could reasonably fit on
a front page.  Maybe a dozen on the front page and a link
for more?  Should there be an actual overview page for
each application?  I don't want to over-complicate, but
we could offer a bit more pretty easily.

I could whip up a functional system to run this in an
evening, probably.  If you have more ideas, could you
do more mockups?  If I do the design, it'll be as ugly
as Pulse. ;)

Seriously, we could make this happen in a week.

--
Shaun