Re: Marketing, GNOME 3.0 and subteams

Brian Cameron wrote:
While I agree with the sentiment, the situation is that for most people
Windows is gratis.

Yes, it is a challenging situation.

I would put it in stronger terms than that :D

With the economy in the situation its in, perhaps people might be more
interested in saving money.  At any rate, the fact that free software
solutions cost less is a point worth highlighting, even if it might
not be the most significant motivator.

Just to be clear; I absolutely agree with that. I'm not saying it's not worth making that kind of statement, or that it's worth telling people about the accessibility - in fact, I think those are hugely important messages. I just don't think it's going to get close to swaying most people, because from my experience they really don't give a hoot about it.

However, that said, I don't think GNOME is marketable as mainstream
software - mainly because, it's not Windows. I don't think marketing
GNOME as a Windows competitor per se is a winning strategy either :)

Then perhaps you are on the wrong mailing list?  Obviously one major
goal of this forum is to figure out how to overcome these issues.  I
don't think throwing up our hands and saying "it can't be done" is
helpful.  Or do you have any suggestions on what you think would make
for a more successful marketing strategy?

That's a great point, and clearly it's possible to overcome these issues in some way: Macintosh is, to me, an excellent example of an enthused user base which generates sufficient revenue from its customers that the people developing it can go forwards leaps and bounds.

In the general case, I don't think free software is in that situation. Firefox, as a stand-out example, is funded essentially by advertising - and honestly, if Google disappeared for them tomorrow, I think they would be in serious trouble.

I think my main concern is that trying to out-Windows Windows is basically a losing argument: they have a monopoly on the market, and it's locked in effectively by network effects. No matter how much better GNOME is virtually all aspects, it will have severe trouble competing on that ground.

My approach would be to gain a beachhead in a specific but widely-used niche that GNOME can be specifically, but not exclusively, marketed into. Our huge, huge advantage over Windows - again, imho :) - is that GNOME isn't as competitive with third parties / ISVs / others as MS is, and doesn't have the same conflict of interests. That means that GNOME will integrate where Windows won't dare, and look out for the user as #1. Personally, that's how I would look to market it: you have the various DRM examples, even iTunes etc., where software is designed to do things that are not in the interest of the user - which comes down to the entire raison d'etre of free software. Going there is a place that other software (apart from Kde ;) cannot follow, so that would be my approach.

But, I'm not like fixed on these ideas - you may well be right. I see things from a specific UK-small-busines bias, which is admittedly only a small section of life. I'm also not a GNOME developer really, but I do develop software that I want GNOME to integrate into and rock hard with, so that is also partially my bias. At the end of the day, it's vastly more important to a. agree on a message and b. hammer it home. I'm onboard with that, so insofar as the right mailing list is concerned, I think I'm on it :) Just chucking in my 2c!

Cheers,

Alex.