Re: Marketing, GNOME 3.0 and subteams

Hi,

strictly speaking, you forgot the most important point:

    What do we want people to do?

Marketing is just a means to help sell the product (or, at least, to help the sales team sell the product). Since we have no sales team, that's probably part of the job description here, too.

On top of my head:

 (1) Make end-users use GNOME3. (end)
 (2) Make end-users select a distribution that ships GNOME3. (means)
 (3) Make opinion leaders (bloggers, twitters, etc.) write about GNOME3. (means)
 (4) Make journalists write about GNOME3. (means)
 (5) Make third-part developers use GNOME3 platform features. (means)
 (6) Make distributions ship GNOME3. (means)
 (7) Make GNOME developers provide the relevant information. (means)

That's probably a better way to figure out what could be done. For example, you forgot to mention ideas concerning (6) and (7).

Of course, we would need ideas why these people should be willing to do what we want them to do. The typical benefits: to have more time or more money or higher status or more, uhm, social relations or a combination thereof.

Additionally, mere statements usually don't sell. We need to provide proof for any statement. Typical "proofs": Testimonials (thus (3), (4), (5)) or Data (case studies, experiments, financial or technical stats, measurements, etc. -- thus (7)).

For example, a typical benefit for (4) is fame (or reputation): to have access to exclusive information. Journalists gain nothing if they write about stuff everybody writes about. Something similar holds for distributions: They don't gain anything by shipping what everybody else ship. But an existing hype about GNOME3 might bring them more users. Also, a potential benefit for (5) might be to sell their own applications. Without existing hype about GNOME3, they probably won't care about it either.

So what about offering selected partners in (4), (5), and (6) an exclusive media partnership? They either get special information (4), or special exposure (5), and (6). After all, we need a few selected distributions to ship GNOME3 shortly after release -- let's say two months --, otherwise we can't point end-users to the right addresses in our marketing materials.

All these parties can be addressed directly; no need for mass communication here.

We also need a means to help people do (3), (4), (5). They need to test GNOME3 to be able to write about it. LiveCD? Images for virtual PCs? Autopackage for applications?

Whatever the concrete plan, (7) is important to make all other stuff work. So, the core question is probably: Who's going to do that and how? :)

Best regards,
Claus