Re: Marketing, GNOME 3.0 and subteams

Brian Cameron wrote:
Shaun:
To be frank, these are no benefits. For a potential user, it begs the
question: "Why should I care whether GNOME3 is "free", "accessible" or
"usable"?

That is simply not true.  Because GNOME is free, the software is far
less expensive than other proprietary solutions.  Therefore, people
who might not be able to afford a proprietary solution could consider
using GNOME instead.

While I agree with the sentiment, the situation is that for most people Windows is gratis.

Most people factor the cost of software into the initial acquisition cost. The cost of office for non-corporates isn't huge. I honestly think the cost argument is basically a complete loser; I've never met anyone who's had a cost problem with Windows/et. al. and wasn't a geek of some description.

I absolutely 100% agree with your points about access for people with impairments, though - I think GNOME is extremely strong in that area; sadly, I don't think it's a marketing benefit in the wider sense: I think it's a relatively marginal issue.

However, that said, I don't think GNOME is marketable as mainstream software - mainly because, it's not Windows. I don't think marketing GNOME as a Windows competitor per se is a winning strategy either :)

Cheers,

Alex.