Re: Marketing, GNOME 3.0 and subteams

Stormy Peters wrote:
Speaking of which, we do very little (if anything?) to advertise GNOME apps. I think users pick operating systems based on apps. They have a task, they pick an app. They don't decide to use Windows or Linux or Mac, they decide to use Photoshop or Gimp or iTunes.
An idea me and Lucas had a while back was the "Not the GNOME App Store". Mockup here [1] This would be a website with a selection of the coolest GNOME applications. The idea is a place with downloads of these for Windows, OS X and the most popular Linux distributions. The browser could detect your OS, so some of the software would be disabled if you're running a non-free OS (as they aren't ported over) and would invite people to do the switch to a distribution running the GNOME desktop.

This could either be a short campaign running for 6 months or so, or a permanent place on gnome.org

1. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/184285/gnome-appstore.png
- Andreas