Re: response to linus...?

<quote who="Santiago Roza">

> well, it's marketing (or to be exact, public relations) 101... you (as an
> organization) don't just shut up when someone trashes your image.
>
> go write a high-profile article trashing coca-cola or intel or whatever
> big brand, and see if their public relations department stays quiet...

What was Coke's response to "The Pepsi Challenge", which trash-talked the
'leading brand'? There wasn't one. They're above that. Slightly different
situation, of course, but think about the approach, and what it means. We
have encourage a culture of positivity, and that's how we should approach
this situation too!

I understand what you're saying, but I think we need to approach it fairly
differently to the mail you sent... We need to communicate to the press what
all of this means. We don't really need to argue it. In fact, if you read
the thread, you'll note that Havoc, Chris, Nat and I were not really saying
that Linus was *wrong* - we were communicating what we (GNOME) do, what we
believe, and why it matters for us to hold a different philosophy.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

   "We are not lovers. We are not romantics. We are here to serve you." -
                        Gary Numan, Down In The Park