Re: Where to hold it? (was: Re: GU4DEC - Let's start the discussionnow.)

On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 01:00, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 20:29, Calum Benson wrote:
> > Glynn Foster wrote:
> > >

> > > No, that seems like a silly thing to do. That cuts down on the amount of
> > > time that you can leer at the pretty girls on the desk.
> >
> > True, but if we were to have it in Ireland next year there wouldn't be
> > any pretty girls to leer at, probably just a few mad culchies if you're
> > lucky  :)
> >
> come on, of course, Spanish girls are prettier, because of the sun and
> the food :-), but I can't believe there are no pretty girls in Ireland.
> Are they all 'mad culchies'?

"Macho macho man". You won't get anything from the girls coming to help
in Dublin if you say things like that, apart from a kick in the groin ;)

There are pretty girls everywhere in the world, and I don't think that
should influence the decision on where to hold the conference... The
quality of the beer does, that's why we won't be doing it in the US :P

No, really. I think that GUADEC staying in Europe is very important. It
was first organised because there weren't any conventions in Europe
where hackers could get together (Amricans have Usenix, remember).

In my opinion, we should have:
- people from the community living at the place/near the place
- should be in Europe
- should have a decent immigration/visit system (I'm wondering how many
hackers from China or Eastern Europe we would see if the conference was
held in the US)
- be close to an international airport (that would have been Madrid
instead of Sevilla...), and an overall good public transport system
- decent internet connectivity (I reckon it's possible from most
europeans countries nowadays)
- better international languages than in *cough*Spain*cough* (I speak
English, French and German, and had to guess what the people were
telling me, most of the time)
- decent prices for hotels/food/etc.

IMO, London isn't a good idea for example (some people were mentioning
it, probably as a joke ;). I'd like to see it in Dublin or Prague, or
some other place that would fit the criteria above.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net