Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Latest GM 0.99.0

Let's go back to the devel mailing list ;)

> Things are not going as expected. After installing the 01.04 CVS rpm's,
> the sound test in the configuration druid worked with both OSS and
> Quicknet. But when I choose OSS, I don't get any sound from the test in
> the Sound Events option (I tried all three sounds). I then re-ran the
> configuration druid, it fails trying to open /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer.
> I then uninstalled 01.04 CVS and reinstalled 0.98.5 and it has no
> problems opening /dev/dsp or /dev/mixer.

The problem seems to disappear and reappear randomly. I need a debug 3
output of it when it happens, but I see no reason why it would be
broken.

> After successfully running 01.03 CVS last night and today, I uninstalled
> 0.98.5 and re-installed 01.03 CVS. Guess what, same problem now as with
> 01.04 CVS.

Yes, there must be a cause to that, but I don't know what.

> I thought yesterday that the opening of the dsp and mixer devices had to
> be a problem with seti home (although there would be no obvious reason
> for it) since 01.03 CVS started working so well, but it wasn't.

Indeed.

> I would be willing to bet that the problem is not in 01.04 or 01.03 CVS,
> but is caused by something very obscure that happens when installing and
> un-installing, especially since 01.03 CVS worked yesterday and today.
>
> Also, just for your reference, I'm having this problem with the Fedora
> and Red Hat 9 rpm's.
>
> I have tried every combination that I can think of to get it to work,
> but so far, no go. The last thing I can think of at this point is to
> reboot so I'm going to try that now. If that doesn't work, I'll remove
> all the gconf references to gnomemeeting and try that. I'll let you
> know.

When it happens, have you tried "lsof /dev/dsp" ?
Also, does it happen in the druid test and in audio calls or only in the
druid test? Actually, the druid test has been rewritten in CVS because
it was not a real full-duplex test in 0.98.5.

My idea for your problem is the following :
- your OSS driver works in full-duplex, but not always
- it wasn't visible in 0.98.5 because the druid test was not really
asking for full-duplex

However, you should have had the same problem during calls with 0.98.5.

The only thing I can suggest you is to try with ALSA :(

> BTW, I forgot to let you know that I am using quicknet with POTS. The
> problem with quicknet was definately seti home :-)

Quicknet with POTS gives definitely the best quality!