Re: [wgo] Skin work

((Plone / CSS magicians, please look at the end of the message))

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 00:18 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I took that guy's suggestion and made this one:
>
> http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/wgo-barnav-3.png

Here is my pen to sign this header from the top to the cool & integrated
secondary nav bar.  :)

> Well, a couple things about the banner bar:
> http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/wgo-bannernav-halfheight.png
>

> http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/wgo-bannernav-halfwidth-halfheight.png

Still, I think it's overdone and I think we will see this clearer when
having alpha pages in a real website:

- Currently the wgo pages are entirely text based in 98% of cases, but
in the revamped wgo we should make a more extensive use of graphic
elements combined with text: pictures, screenshots, icons, diagrams...
The banner bar might get in competition with those elements and distract
too much the user.

- Even if it looks ok on a single mockup, I'm not sure the banner bar
works properly when browsing a section thoroughly, I mean page by page.

- It will give us more work of production, being another element to care
of. I'm still really concerned about people and time available, both for
creating the site and maintaining it on a daily basis.

> Yeh, I am *really* feeling that this one is it:
>
> http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/mairinduffy/wgo-barnav-3.png

The integrated secondary bar looks just neat. Let's go for it.
>  I'm not sure if coloring the general nav bar
> as well would be overkill...

Right, I understand your concern (and Joachim's) about touching this nav
bar. I have no strong opinion here, just a usability concern:

- If a user is in wgo or art.gnome.org it is easy for her to know in
which subsite they are, no strong need for a visualization in the
General nav bar.

- However, we have more GNOME subsites than elements in the General bar.
library.gnome.org, bugzilla.gnome.org or developer.gnome.org are
conceptually tied to "Development" in the general nav bar. If you are in
one of these sites the only way (we have though ar for today) to step to
another neighbor subsite is to click to "Development" =
developer.gnome.org, a page where you will have explained links to all
the development related subsites.

Now, if "Development" is not remarked somehow while I am at
library.gnome.org, it is much harder for the use to find out all this.

Any ideas here?

I have a question for the people working on the CSS & Plone integration
of this header. I'd like to offer to the subsites a piece of code they
would include in their templates to make the general nav bar appear as
we wish. BUT, this code would be retrieving data from a central location
somewhere near wgo, so if we add a new item to the general bar or we
apply a tiny change in its design, the changes are automatically
implemented in all the subsites and we don't need to chase them one by
one.

Is this feasible? Would make the pages slower?