Re: [wgo] Skin work

Joachim wrote:
On 11/10/06, Lee Tambiah <l_tambiah linuxmail org> wrote:

* The GNOME logo needs to fill the General Nav bar to the primary nav bar.
A nice large foot! Emphasis GNOME.

We want the General Nav Bar to appear on all gnome sites. That means it must
be able to slot above whatever design they have -- and there is a fair
amount of variance.
We want the General Nav Bar to have a link back to www.gnome.org, and that
link will be the GNOME logo.

If the large GNOME logo is that link back to www.gnome.org, then there is a
problem, as it's not a part of the General Nav Bar.

I also have concerns about making the GNOME logo overlap the bar as well as the whitespace in the upper left corner.

First issue is that I'm trying to develop a consistent GNOME branding scheme, and thus far (such as in the business card and letterhead designs you can see at http://mihmo.livejournal.com/), this look of a narrow dark grey line with a lighter grey GNOME logo has kind of come out of that. Having the GNOME logo overlap would kind of break this brand consistency that's coming about.

Second issue is the same as what Joachim brings up - we want people to be able to jump to gnome.org from any part of the site, but each part of the site also needs something to identify it right?

For an example of how I think we could do this and still keep the new branding style: http://www.taconicdsl.com/

See how the site's got its own logo/identify - it's the Taconic DSL page, but the narrow top nav also has a link to the main taconic page?

We could do a little small gnome logo on all sites but the main page. These non-main-page sites can also have a logo corresponding to what they're about. And on the main page just have the large GNOME logo.

~m