Re: Divergences between ubuntu-l10n and gnome-i18n regarding en_GB

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 22:15 +0100, David Lodge wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:14:08 +0100, Alex Hudson <home alexhudson com>
> wrote:
> > While I don't like "Trash"; "Dustbin", "Rubbish", "Waste" etc. I think
> > are actually worse - they're kinda "dirty" words. Microsoft used
> > "Recycle bin" which doesn't have the muck connotation, but isn't quite
> > so clear a term (presumably for both all English OSes?).
>
> Microsoft only really pay lip service to UK translation - most of their
> apps don't have a translation and it's still the "Recycle Bin" in Windows.
> Mac OS X is even worse - it's still "Trash". Our friends in KDE call it
> the "Waste Bin". Outlook uses "Deleted Items" and "Dumpster" (the deleted
> item's deleted items).
>
> I don't think we'll ever get a solution that'll keep everybody happy.
>
> In terms of liason 'twixt the Ubuntu and Gnome lists, I don't mind doing
> that: I was planning to join the Ubuntu guys anyway (once I get my
> problems with my graphics card sorted out). I'm also on the Fedora
> translation list as well.

You're a workaholic Dave ;)

IMNSHO, "Wastebasket" is fine. It's not that good a word, but was use by
both Apple (who seems to now prefer Trash), and Microsoft (although I
don't know their latest quirks on the en_GB).

For GNOME 2.18, we might want to change that.
"Deleted Items" is obviously wrong, as Peter pointed out.
"Rubbish bin", and the likes, as you just pointed out have a bad
connotation.

I've got two (maybe three) decent proposals, before people start yelling
abuse at me. "Paper bin". Although it's not really paper we're throwing,
Documents are usually paper-made (in real life), and we're just
mimicking real-life. There's also "Garbage bin", which David didn't
mention. still has a bad connotation though.

Finally, I'll propose "Bin". It's:
 7. Any receptacle for holding rubbish or waste, esp. waste paper; a
waste-bin.
according to the OED.
"Waste-bin" although I've never heard it used might not be too bad.

I'd go for "Bin", and sod them all ;)

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>