Re: Divergences between ubuntu-l10n and gnome-i18n regarding en_GB

Toby Smithe wrote:

Peter Oliver wrote:
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, David Lodge wrote:

I'm happy either way, to tell you the truth I've never been happy with
"Wastebasket", but "Deleted Items" doesn't do it for me either (too
prosaic).
Looks like you're already settled this, and I'm not trying to re-open
the debate, but I always liked the sound of "Dustbin", myself.

Yeah; the debate on the Ubuntu team list was pretty lengthy, and the
poll which ended it did pretty much decide on "Deleted Items".

It's relatively easy to whip up a script (a few lines of sed
would do it) to do the changes en masse.
Not really.  Since "Trash" and "Wastebasket" refer to the container, and
"Deleted Items" refers to the contents, sentences such as "Empty Deleted
Items" won't make sense any more.  You need to "Erase deleted items" or
similar.

Uhuh! We use "Deleted Items" and "[Move to] Deleted Items Folder", so
that the system still works.

Nonetheless, I was mainly trying to discover the GNOME policy on
divergences downstream, and what we at Ubuntu should do about it. Any
pointers? Or does GNOME not care?
I think any divergences downstream are a bad thing. For a project like GNOME especially, it will cause problems for people trying out different distributions. Not to mention that it will cause extra work for you if you don't liaise with upstream and find a common approach.

Personally I think "Deleted Items" is a bad translation of "Trash". As pointed out, "Trash" is used to refer to a container, where as "Deleted Items" refers to contents. If the developers had wanted it to be called it "Deleted Items", then they would have done. The en_GB translation should not be changing the meanings of words, but simply replacing Americanisms with more English equivalents.

-Thomas