Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

Yeah perfect, thnx it was deactivated! (alt + [key above tab])
now this works like a charm !

2011/5/6 Aurélien Naldi <aurelien naldi gmail com>
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Marc Fouquet <marc fouquet gmx de> wrote:

>> I was wondering about the  Alt+[key above Tab, usually `], i read
>> about
>> it, but it doesnt work here (german keyboard german language setting,
>> self compiled shell on ubuntu natty).
>
> Same here (german language, Natty, Gnome Shell from PPA).
>
> However you can still navigate between multiple windows of the same
> application. After pressing ALT-TAB, keep holding ALT and use the cursor
> keys.

Hi,

it also did not work for me, them I discovered that the shortcut was
disabled in the preferences, now it works like a charm :)
Probably a problem when migrating from old settings which did not have
this shortcut (it worked on a fresh fedora 15 install)

As I send my first mail in this thread, let's add some extra comment:
I have been using the shell for a while and I also disliked the lack
of task bar then realised I do not miss it at all. I would not go as
far as saying it is useless though but if the overview is fast enough
I prefer the new way when I'm not using alt-tab.

Anyway, this being my first post here, I'll add some comment of the
main topic of the thread! Nothing new here, I would just like to
encourage people not to overreact about the lack of task bar in a NEW
desktop environment, it is not a feature that was removed to piss you
off, just a feature that was not implemented as the designers thought
it did not fit within the shell!
* the old panel is still here, and got some love so it is not going
anywhere. It even seems possible ti run it within the shell after some
tweaks!
* you are not forced to upgrade right now, but indeed this is not a
long term solution
* if you really love gnome so much and this is the only thing
refraining you, do not forget that the shell is a brand new
experiment! Extensions will show up before the old panel is removed.
Maybe a different shell can be designed on top of the same
architecture, but the gnome-shell designers and devs did an amazing
job and they are free to make choices. You may not like them but these
choices have been made for some reason. The very fact that it is
different is what makes it interresting!
* Nothing is taken away from you, it is open source... Anyway, if the
need for a task bar is big enough, it may be added to the shell
itself, but complaining about being forced to use a crappy desktop
won't make it happen

Best regards.

--
Aurélien Naldi