Re: Two proposals for Gnome-shell

Hey Jesse,

My personal feeling is that there's no easy solution for showing what's in different workspaces in a quick and efficient way. The current solution, while it certainly isn't perfect, makes the most sense to me, and the large thumbnails actually do help me in this case more than icons, because the configuration of windows tells me something about what is running there (I usually layout different windows differently, in specific patterns, etc). I agree that showing icons would make it quicker and easier to find a given app. But, the proposed solution is less visually appealing to me and can hide more information in the case of the same app running in different spaces (also doesn't show the visual layout/structure of the space).

I'll be honest here: I don't think the current WS thumbnails do a good job at showing what is on each workspace. At all. If anything, they show more or less what each of them would look from far, far away. But windows in them look mostly the same, and to top that, most windows appear partially or completely covered from the one on top.

What I think does a superb job at conveying what's in each workspace is the window picker. It shows windows whole and at a good size, so that you can recognize them instantly. The only problem with it is that it's difficult to switch to each space, but that's also partially due to the way the workspace preview works: you have to open Activities, then move all the way to the right to bring up the WS thumbnails, then look at the tiny thumbnails and guess which workspace you're looking for, click it to open its overlay and then click it again (or the desired window) to close Activities.

I think all of it would be much handier if the workspaces were integrated into the sidebar and you could do one of these:
Please give it a minute and try to imagine how that would operate. Wouldn't you like that?