Re: Two proposals for Gnome-shell

True, I guess I ignored the fact that running applications aren't shown twice between the favorites and the workspace containers in your mock-ups. And, if an one is only shown in the most recently accessed workspace, that would prevent the scaling issue*. However, doesn't that behavior pose a problem if the goal is to show what's in each workspace?

My personal feeling is that there's no easy solution for showing what's in different workspaces in a quick and efficient way. The current solution, while it certainly isn't perfect, makes the most sense to me, and the large thumbnails actually do help me in this case more than icons, because the configuration of windows tells me something about what is running there (I usually layout different windows differently, in specific patterns, etc). I agree that showing icons would make it quicker and easier to find a given app. But, the proposed solution is less visually appealing to me and can hide more information in the case of the same app running in different spaces (also doesn't show the visual layout/structure of the space).

Jesse

* Disclaimer: not being able to use GNOME Shell yet, I could be making faulty assumptions about the dash's behavior.