Re: Two proposals for Gnome-shell

Robert,

I'll be honest, I think it's ugly that the workspaces are inequal in size (each workspace represents a virtual copy of the physical monitor

That is what we have inherited from Gnome2, but it doesn't need to be the case anymore. A workspace may be simply a group of windows that appear together in the same space; some may consist of two windows and some of five, in which case it would make sense that their representation in the sidebar reflected this nature.

I disagree, the list of window titles is more concise and if you can't discern which window is which by the title text, then that application is broken (needs to have a more descriptive window title text). I don't find tiny thumbnails to be particularly helpful in most cases.
Anything less than 400px or so is too small to really be able to identify what you're looking at (below that, all windows start to look like grey boxes unless they have some really unique content. I guess gimp's photo windows would be identifiable, but eg any website would
start to look like any other website in such a small thumbnail, all word processing docs would definitely look alike).

Just for reference, I was thinking of showing the same thumbnails that now appear when you press down during the Alt+tab switcher.