Re: Gnome shell suggestions after a bit of usage

On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 12:25 +0200, Giovanni Campagna wrote:

> Let's consider the music use case, and let's consider our favorite
> player, Rhythmbox (version from git master, as the one in fedora has a
> bug and fails to recognize gnome-shell)

Ah, that would explain why it's about as useful as a chocolate teapot
here...

> . In place of the GNOME 2.32
> status icon, it has a resident notification with current album/track,
> play/pause, previous, next. Do you need anything else?
> If you want to pick a specific track, you most likely prefer to see the
> whole application. If you want to adjust volume, you can use the global
> status indicator.

I might not be the best person to ask as I don't use the 'tray applet'
function of music players - I always found it distracting and disabled
it when possible. But, passing that, it just feels to me like if this
becomes the canonical design for 'background tasks', we've changed
virtually nothing from GNOME 2 / Windows 98: you still have a rainbow
tray of status icons at the bottom right of the screen, except it's
auto-hidden until you mouse over it. (And half of the things that used
to be there have been designated 'system functions' and moved to the top
right instead.) I was kinda hoping GNOME 3 would have some kind of smart
solution for this. But I can't really complain if I can't think of
anything better, I suppose.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey