Re: Gnome shell suggestions after a bit of usage

2011/7/8 Aurélien Naldi <aurelien naldi gmail com>
To solve this, the application (and shell) have to move to an other
system. I think gnome-shell has a specific API for notifications which
should allow this. I would really have liked a mechanism shared with
other environments, like the indicators pushed by ubuntu (coming from
the KDE world but rejected by gnome). Alternatively proposing an other
(better?) mechanism could work, but I guess it would be hard to
convince others DE to change now...

The "specific API" used by GNOME Shell is called libnotify, which was already used in GNOME 2. Ubuntu uses it for its notify-osd, and apparently it is also supported in KDE[0]. The support for status icons is considered legacy, its use is highly discouraged (and so would be the use of the KDE/Canonical replacement if support is added) - the message tray is a place to notify users about a particular event, not a taskbar replacement for applications.

Florian

[0] http://api.kde.org/4.0-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/classKNotification.html