Re: Gnome shell suggestions after a bit of usage

2011/7/8 Tassilo Horn <tassilo member fsf org>
I would be fine if Quod Libet would fire a notification with play/pause
toggle as soon as my phone rings, but right now phone and computer are
still separate things.  I guess things will improve in the future.

In your rythmbox screenshot, when does that notification appear?  When
the track changes?

It appears when rhythmbox starts playing and is updated on track changes. It is persistent, so clicking the notification brings up rhythmbox, but doesn't remove the notification from the summary area.

I've checked the report.  So if I'd hide a window, how would I get it
back if I need it?  If I understand it correctly, it's not in the
overview or the window picker.

The application icon is still in the dash. Right-clicking gives the option to "unhide" the application in the overview (if the application has multiple windows and you want to pick a specific one), or just left-clicking the icon activates the application (i.e. "unhides" and focuses it and leaves the overview).

There's certainly room for improvement (some have been suggested in comments), but I won't spend time on it unless someone convinces designers that "hiding" is a useful feature.

> No. The top bar has been designed as a mostly static, system-owned
[nearly empty] *scnr*

[portrait orientation, tablets, netbooks] *scnr*

IMO, a clipboard manager is such an important utility that there should
be no need for an extension.

No, it's a "power user" feature - I'm sure the vast majority of users (myself included, and I wouldn't label myself as "grandpa joe" user) does not use/need a clipboard manager. The alternative to using an extension would be a dedicated application - maybe that's the better approach, don't know. But there are no hooks for application to appear as system components.

(My 2 months GNOME3 experience has shown
that those are rather flaky, so I avoid them if possible.)

Probably right (I don't use any extensions at all), but the situation is likely to improve in upcoming releases. Also it has to be pointed out that many of the existing extensions are rather intrusive, in that they replace system components (or re-use components out of the intended context), mostly to "restore" some GNOME 2 behavior. Less-intrusive extensions should be much less problematic, though they still might require updates every six months (as there are no stability guarantees for shell's internal API).

Florian