Re: Gnome shell suggestions after a bit of usage

Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> writes:

Hi Florian,

>> I've checked the report.  So if I'd hide a window, how would I get it
>> back if I need it?  If I understand it correctly, it's not in the
>> overview or the window picker.
>
> The application icon is still in the dash.  Right-clicking gives the
> option to "unhide" the application in the overview (if the application
> has multiple windows and you want to pick a specific one), or just
> left-clicking the icon activates the application (i.e. "unhides" and
> focuses it and leaves the overview).

Well, not that bad.  But still it needs three actions to pause the music
player: (1) open overview, (2) activate/unhide player, (3) press pause
in it.  With the usual system tray (aka notification area with icon
abuse), it's usually just right-click > pause.

>> No. The top bar has been designed as a mostly static, system-owned
>> [nearly empty] *scnr*
> [portrait orientation, tablets, netbooks] *scnr*

Sure, and for tablets in portrait orientation it's probaly too much even
right now.  So IMO, what's in the top bar should be configurable.  For
example, I have hawk's eyes and my laptop has no bluetooth, so the
accessibility as well as the bluetooth buttons are useless to me.  I
always enter the overview using the windows key, so I have no use for
the Activities button, too.

But ok, I know that a consistent interface is an important issue for the
GNOME3 design which has been discussed over and over again, so we can
simply stop talking about that. ;-)

>> IMO, a clipboard manager is such an important utility that there
>> should be no need for an extension.
>
> No, it's a "power user" feature

Really?  In my experience, that's the first thing GNU/Linux newbies are
excited about.  (Copy & Paste with only selecting and middle-click, plus
the ability to access old selections easily)

> - I'm sure the vast majority of users (myself included, and I wouldn't
> label myself as "grandpa joe" user) does not use/need a clipboard
> manager.

Don't you do web christmas lotteries, where you have to paste your name,
mail, and address over and over again?!?

> The alternative to using an extension would be a dedicated application
> - maybe that's the better approach, don't know. But there are no hooks
> for application to appear as system components.

We'll see what the future comes up with.

>> (My 2 months GNOME3 experience has shown that those are rather flaky,
>> so I avoid them if possible.)
>
> Probably right (I don't use any extensions at all), but the situation
> is likely to improve in upcoming releases.  Also it has to be pointed
> out that many of the existing extensions are rather intrusive, in that
> they replace system components (or re-use components out of the
> intended context), mostly to "restore" some GNOME 2 behavior.
> Less-intrusive extensions should be much less problematic,...

Yes, I've observer the same.  I only use the windowNavigator extension
to be able to select a window in the overview using the keyboard instead
of having to grab the mouse.

Bye,
Tassilo