Re: Gnome shell suggestions after a bit of usage

Il giorno ven, 08/07/2011 alle 21.00 -0700, Adam Williamson ha scritto:
> On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 00:43 +0200, Florian Müllner wrote:
> > 2011/7/9 Tassilo Horn <tassilo member fsf org>
> >         Well, not that bad.  But still it needs three actions to pause
> >         the music
> >         player: (1) open overview, (2) activate/unhide player, (3)
> >         press pause
> >         in it.  With the usual system tray (aka notification area with
> >         icon
> >         abuse), it's usually just right-click > pause.
> >
> > It is not meant as a way to give quick access to applications - that
> > should be provided by notifications (e.g. like Rhythmbox does it).
>
> I think the specific case we're discussing in this thread - music - is
> an interesting one that could merit some specific discussion.
> Controlling music playback as a 'system' function - via a notification
> area icon, usually - seems to be a pretty popular method, and this
> doesn't really work as well in GNOME 3 as it did in GNOME 2, I think
> most would agree. So you could say we should just add it as a system
> function, but then, there are plenty of people who don't play music at
> all, and this would be one more annoyance for them alongside the
> equally-often-useless accessibility and bluetooth icons.

Let's consider the music use case, and let's consider our favorite
player, Rhythmbox (version from git master, as the one in fedora has a
bug and fails to recognize gnome-shell). In place of the GNOME 2.32
status icon, it has a resident notification with current album/track,
play/pause, previous, next. Do you need anything else?
If you want to pick a specific track, you most likely prefer to see the
whole application. If you want to adjust volume, you can use the global
status indicator.

> So...I don't have a solution, I'm just pointing this up; there seems to
> be a gap (that could be defined as 'quick, outside-current-task
> interactions with subsets of the functionality of running applications')
> between the 'system area' and the notification system which GNOME 3 just
> isn't covering very well at present. Is there a strategy for this? Do we
> want people to figure it out with extensions? Do we really want to use
> (some would say abuse) permanent notifications for this? Does someone
> have a smart solution that hasn't previously been suggested? Do we just
> throw up our hands and say 'that's not what GNOME 3 is for'?

Again, this kind of interaction should be partly exposed with libnotify
(message tray) and partly with GApplication (dash, application menu).
Design is there, so is code, and I wouldn't consider using the message
tray like that an abuse. It is the expected place for background tasks,
which I think are chat (inline reply), music (play/pause, next/prev),
file operations (progress, cancel/pause), email (most recent,
star/read/delete), microblogging (like/reply).
The system status area instead should be used only for system-level
stuff, that is exposed by the Core and affects the operation of whole
computer.
Technically, extensions should not be needed, unless it is a very
specific use case, that cannot be exposed in notification-spec protocol,
in which case you should anyway use a standarized freedesktop protocol
like Telepathy or TaskView.

Giovanni