Re: Gnome shell suggestions after a bit of usage

Florian Max <florian muellner gmail com> writes:

Hi Florian,

>> I tend to agree.  However, there are few ubiquitous apps which one
>> doesn't want to see but always have quick access to.
>
> The current recommendation to applications is to use notification
> actions to provide "quick access".

I would be fine if Quod Libet would fire a notification with play/pause
toggle as soon as my phone rings, but right now phone and computer are
still separate things.  I guess things will improve in the future.

In your rythmbox screenshot, when does that notification appear?  When
the track changes?

> For users who don't want to see "background" applications, the
> recommendation is to move them to another workspace.  I've suggested
> an alternative to status icons to "hide" applications[0], but so far
> no one has tried to convince designers that this is a desirable/needed
> feature - I'm certainly the wrong person to do this, as for me the
> workspace approach works well ...

I've checked the report.  So if I'd hide a window, how would I get it
back if I need it?  If I understand it correctly, it's not in the
overview or the window picker.

>> I imagine it would be cool if such apps could add small control
>> widgets into the top bar, for example [>/|| << >>] for a music
>> player.
>
> No. The top bar has been designed as a mostly static, system-owned
[nearly empty] *scnr*
> space, not a place for applications to hook into.
>
>> [fn:1] Do I see it correctly that GNOME3 doesn't have one?  Right now, I
>>       use parcellite which puts itself into the message tray.
>
> As far as I know you are right and there is no real GNOME3 solution at
> the moment.  My take would be that the "clipboard" can be seen as a
> system component, so it would be OK for an extension to add it to the
> top bar.

IMO, a clipboard manager is such an important utility that there should
be no need for an extension.  (My 2 months GNOME3 experience has shown
that those are rather flaky, so I avoid them if possible.)

Bye,
Tassilo