Re: Is the Minimize button still useful with gnome-shell ?

On mar, 2010-03-23 at 07:39 +0100, David Mulder wrote:
> Rather than a new UI, wouldn't a button launching the gnome-shell be
> better, example (see mockup below/attached):
>  * You click the button.
>  * Gnome shell opens with a text over each workspace "Drop window
> here" (See below).
>  * Possibly the rest of the interfaces are greyed out, and only
> activate after clicking outside the dropable workspaces or the button
> above it.

By default there is only one workspace visible in the activities
overview (branded linear/single view). The "traditional" gnome-shell
overview with all workspaces displayed in a grid still exists as an
alternative (called (surprise!) grid view) - your approach assumes that
the overview uses that mode.

While I'm sure that this can be addressed, it is not my main concern; in
my opinion, the minimize action is primarily used to get windows
(temporarily) out of the way (with the intention to bring them back
later). Forcing the user to deal with the window explicitly does not fit
in very well here - as long as the window can be brought back easily,
users should not care where it goes.

I also don't see much benefit over the current workflow of entering the
overview and dragging the window to another workspace - the activities
button is a much easier target than any title bar element, and drag and
drop is not that much more complicated than a click.

That said, I don't mean to discourage you at all - the shell is far from
perfect, so keep those ideas coming!