Re: Is the Minimize button still useful with gnome-shell ?

IMHO there is 2 problems with minimize options :

1/ there is no way to restore windows in the current workspace without going to the Activities overview (which, by the way, make me think to vi command mode. Absolutely no offense here, but I am maybe too old for newer metaphor ;) ) and I think that if minimize behavior is to be kept there should be a mean to restore windows from the current workspace (iconbox, etc.)

2/ as Mathew mentions, the fact that minimized windows have the same visual importance in the Activities overview is disturbing

Let me say it another way. Switching from workspace to activities overview is, at least in my mind, switching from a local area to a global one with many more information, and I consider minimize action as a local action, therefore it is disturbing to go to the global picture to restore a window especially that, as Mathew said, minimized windows don't have special appearance.

Moreover minimize actions are not first class actions in gnome-shell (while spreading windows all over workspaces is). If I understand well gnome-shell paradigm, minimize actions are last resort action : Well for any reason I don't want to open another workspace but I have to make room, let start to minimize some stuff.

That is why I proposed to remove minimize button from the title bar, and probably keep it as shortcut and in the title bar menu but as local workspace action.

I would like to be clear, I know how it is difficult to propose new things, to disturb habits and I feel that gnome-shell will be a great masterpiece (but it will have to find its way) and my intent here is just to give feedback and maybe some little clues.

François