Re: Application menu / switcher

- if we don't put anything on top bar (besides the clock) there is no
reason in hiding the application menu at all

I would in general agree and it would be better if the menu was visible at all times, but currently that would be a space issue. I'm on a netbook and the App Title + Clock take up pretty much all the space available in the center of the panel. So I suggested what I did because in order for the menu to be visible at all times the GS devs would have to consider removing the App Title and stuff. I wasn't sure how firm these elements were in place (in GS and in the developers hearts/minds) so I tried to find a way to add the functionality without needing to change/remove any of the elements currently in place. Of course it is also a font size issue which is why I also asked about plans to allow the resizing of the fonts in the panel (see: mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2010-April/msg00029.html), because if I could shrink them (and rearrange the clock) then I could get an ever present menu to fit on the panel.

- there is one more way to activate application menu besides hovering
and clicking - similarly to activities button, you may hit the top
border of the button with mouse. less prone to accidental activation
than simple hovering, and does not require clicking

That is another option, I would still be afraid of annoying accidental activations (I still accidentally activate the Overview every now and again), but it is a better no-click solution than hovering I think.