RE: Application menu / switcher

> Subject: Application menu / switcher
> From: tomek xiaoka com
> To: gnome-shell-list gnome org
> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:04:17 +0200
>
> Dnia 2010-04-15, czw o godzinie 11:35 -0400, Mark Curtis pisze:
> > "but are they really necessary on a Day to Day Base? Me thinks not ;)"
> > I don't use accessibility features on a day to day base, guess that
> > means no one else does and therefore GNOME Shell shouldn't use it.
>
> If you need accessibility features - you turn it on.
> If you need dock - you install it.

Turning on an included feature is not the same as installing it from somewhere else

> > I don't like this title "Do/not implement Dock" I mean, I personally
> > would like SOME SORT of window switcher, even if it weren't
> > specifically a dock.
>
> This is exactly what I'm advocating for.
> We should come up with a nice design for a fast applications switcher,
> not mindlessly copy-paste dock/taskbar because everyone else uses it.

Oh, okay so we're on the same page then? Having some application switcher.

> > I loved the idea of breadcrumbs, but the GNOME devs would rather just
> > waste the space right of the Activities menu to show you the active
> > application and maybe some mysterious 'menu' if they ever get around
> > to it.
>
> That's just unfair. You shouldn't bash developers, because they did not
> implement a planned feature yet. Please be constructive and encouraging.
>
> GTK+ already has infrastructure for removing the application from its
> menu. See: http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/
> I think it should be integrated in GnomeShell.
>
> The way I see it:
> http://codex.xiaoka.com/~smoku/tmp/app_menu_mockup.png
> (a bit crude but I'm no artist)

Yea I apologize that was a bit unfair.  I guess I'm just disappointed that the area could be used for something, it's currently not. There is something the devs have planned, but I'm not clear on what it is or when, so as of right now it's wasted space.