Re: Scroll to zoom in/out.

I don't understand why everyone wants to run GNOME Shell with a dock. It clutters up your screen, uses a lot of memory (especially Docky), and it just isn't necessary at all.

First you make the statement that a Dock is in no way needed.

 I admit, I am using a dock right now, but it's DockBarX, so it sits on my panel while giving me that awesome program grouping that docks give you in a much more compact way.

Then you go ahead and tell us that you do indeed use a dock, not the Docky that you despise but another dock.

Besides of visual and some very minor functional differences these two applications are the same to the user. They are designed around the same concept and fill the exact same need. They are docks, the names of the applications indicates that enough.

I love Docky. Just the same as I would love DockBarX if I had jumped on that train instead.
You can make Docky behave as a persistent small dock without any zoom-effects if you so want. Or you can have it as a large dock that auto-hides when your active window obscures it. Now this is not a discussion suitable for this mailing list so I will stop at that.

The discussion suitable for this mailing list is that around the shell, and that around the fact that most people, for good or for bad, want very quick ways to change windows. One of the reasons why many people doesn't find the activities overview a quick way to change in-between Windows is that it is not quick at the moment. At the moment as people try out Gnome shell the activities overlay performs horribly on at least ATi mesa, ATi fglrx and Nvidia proprietary. We might want to stop this discussion until 2.31 which has as it's major goal to make the shell fast.

Just one more thing:
GNOME Shell doesn't need a dock, never will, and if you want a different way to access your applications, just use a dock yourself or wait until someone develops an add-on for A similar feature.

We do not want to create the shell as a product that when it is out, people will talk about it in terms of: "Yes gnome shell is wicked cool! You just have to add a dock for window switching and then it is totally awesome!". Gnome Shell should be released as a finished product, not something where the general consensus is that you have to change and add a lot of stuff to get it working. It should simply work.

I apologise if this email was interpreted as aggressive towards you Ryan Peters, it was not meant as such.

--
www.twitter.com/Rovanion