Re: Questions regarding Sun's gnome 2.6 implementation

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 18:10 +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:
> Calum Benson <Calum Benson Sun COM> writes:
>
> >but in the meantime, maybe the 'maximize vertically' window manager
> >command would do what you want?  (I *think* it was around in 2.6...)  It's
> >accessible via a keyboard shortcut only, which you have to define yourself
> >in the Keyboard Shortcuts preferences window.  I use Shift-Alt-F10, since
> >Alt-F10 is used for the 'regular' maximize function.
>
> This is great and it does work properly, adjusting the xterm window a
> little shy of the full height of the desktop so that it maintains full
> lines of text - exactly what maximize should do.  However, this function
> does not act as a toggle and I can find no way to restore the window to its
> original geometry after maximizing vertically.  I thought that "Unmaximize
> window" (<Alt>F5) should do this, but it only works with the standard full
> screen maximize function.  Do you know of a function that undoes (or better
> yet, toggles) the vertical and horizontal maximizations?  I also wish there
> were an easy way to assign functions like this to the top bar double-click
> option.

I guess they didn't think of this until later :)  In GNOME 2.20 (which
I'm running now on OpenSolaris), the Maximize Horizontally/Vertically
shortcuts are just a toggle, so you can just press them again to get
back to the previous size.  Not sure which version of GNOME this landed
in, though.

I'm pretty sure there are existing bugs open about making these
functions available via mouse, but feel free to file one if you can't
find them.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team