Re: Red Carpet 0.9 beta

Renze de Ruiter wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:18:09 Adam Jacob wrote:
>
> > I understand the source of your complaint; Red Carpet is doing too good
> > a job trying to clean up your system dependencies.  However, it is
> > wholly unreasonable to say that their software is somehow faulty because
> > it doesn't take into account your particular brand of system mangling. :)
>
> No, you're missing the point... I was complaining about Red Carpet wanting to
> remove 45 packages completely unrelated to the software I wanted to install.

I think the root of your problem here is lack of information.  Red
Carpet
has a reason that it wants to remove those 45 packages.  But there is no
way for you to find out why.  If you had been able to click on a "Show
me why"
button, it is likely that this whole discussion would not have happened.

On a related note, I have had Red Carpet think that it had the
dependancies
figured out, but when it tried to actually install the packages, it rpm
failed
due to a dependancy problem.  But Red Carpet did not tell me what the
problem
was.  I had to exit Red Carpet (making sure that it did not clear the
cache!),
and use "rpm -U --test *.rpm" to figure out the problem myself.