Re: Red Carpet 0.9 beta

On 26 Feb 2001 22:06:39 -0700, Tom Schutter wrote:
> Renze de Ruiter wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:18:09 Adam Jacob wrote:
> >
> > > I understand the source of your complaint; Red Carpet is doing too good
> > > a job trying to clean up your system dependencies.  However, it is
> > > wholly unreasonable to say that their software is somehow faulty because
> > > it doesn't take into account your particular brand of system mangling. :)
> >
> > No, you're missing the point... I was complaining about Red Carpet wanting to
> > remove 45 packages completely unrelated to the software I wanted to install.
>
> I think the root of your problem here is lack of information.  Red
> Carpet
> has a reason that it wants to remove those 45 packages.  But there is no
> way for you to find out why.  If you had been able to click on a "Show
> me why"
> button, it is likely that this whole discussion would not have happened.

I completely agree. I havn't used RC yet, but the biggest complaint I
have with helix-update is what it does when things don't work right. It
just tells me that there was an error. Having a plain (but not too
plain) english explanation of what happened or was about to happen would
be great. There is a big difference between the user disagreeing with a
piece of software and with the user thinking the software is being dumb.
Dumb software is exasperating.

--Ben