Re: Red Carpet 0.9 beta

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Ian Peters wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 09:47:10AM +1300, Renze de Ruiter wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:43:09 Ian Peters wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps you need to learn how to inform your rpm database when you've
> > > installed software by hand?  (Yes, it is possible and easy to do.)
> >
> > No, it is wanting to remove RPMs that I have installed myself that I don't
> > want removed.  The only thing that I built and it is wanting to replace is the
> > kernel.
>
> If you installed all of these packages without using --force --nodeps,
> then it is a bug in red carpet, and I would very much appreciate a bug
> report (bugzilla.ximian.com).
>
> If you did install them by forcing them onto your system, then you do
> need to either a) satisfy dependencies, or b) add fake entries to your
> rpm database.

IMNSHO, this is a bug in Red Carpet.  Just for fun, I ran red-carpet
and asked it to update "gnucash".  It claimed that the following packages
are "necessary removals":

   kapm
   kdebase-3d-screensavers
   kdevelop
   kpilot
   kpppload
   quake2
   xmorph

>From a user standpoint this makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.  I don't care HOW I
installed these RPMS, I refuse to believe that upgrading gnucash requires
that I remove quake2.

And, in fact, I know that what red-carpet is telling me is NOT TRUE.  I
can, and have, upgraded gnucash without removing ANY packages.

The fact is that red-carpet is WRONG.  These packages do not NEED to be
removed in order to upgrade the selected package.  The fact that
red-carpet thinks so simply means that its logic is incorrect.  It is a
bug.  Plain and simple.  You are delusional if you think otherwise.

Telling people

  "If you did install them by forcing them onto your system,
  then you do need to either a) satisfy dependencies, or b) add fake
  entries to your rpm database."

is like telling a Windows user "if you installed this software without
using InstallShield, you will need to manually edit your registry and add
the required 73 entries".

-matt

Matthew Nelson
Dynamics Technology, Inc.
21311 Hawthorne Blvd., Suite 300, Torrance, CA 90503-5610
Voice: (310) 543-5433   FAX: (310) 543-2117   Email: mnelson dynatec com